Last week, Jerry Jerry and I were talking about recruiting and propaganda.
This, in essence, is what he said.

The Average Recruiter is like a bore at a party. He talks you listen.

Average recruiters tell their candidates "This job is great and you're gonna love it."
The candidate is a passive recipient of information.

A Top Recruiter, however, is like a Svengali. She gets her candidates to buy-in.

After you listen to a top recruiter, you're saying
"Where's the kool-aid? This job is great and I'm gonna love it!"

Now, what is Propaganda?

According to wikipedia propaganda is not
an impartial presentation of information. No.
Propaganda presents information in order to influence opinions and behavior.

"Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission)
or gives loaded messages to produce an emotional rather than rational
response to the information."

Recruiters don't do that, do they? No, never!
Film: Jerry at work.. Exact Quotation: Animal - you've unwittingly stumbled upon a key difference between average/lame recruiters and those at the top. Average recruiters tell their candidate the job is great and they're gonna love it. Top recruiters help their candidates say "The job is great and I'm gonna love it!" Normally that kind of info would be available only to those sitting in a seminar or buying the training material. But here on RBC it's FREE!!!!!!

Views: 1682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ami, Steve is a nice guy. He didn't mean any harm. I on the other hand do want to perpetuate the popular stereotypes of our profession.
I wish they'd run the lyrics under those things. I guess I'm gettin' old.

Jerry Albright said:
Cheap Trick - I Can't Take It
Words and Music by Robin Zander

Well I saw you today and realized
How I missed my peace of mind
I feel your breath in my ear
But late at night it's you I always think about
That little girl inside of you I once knew
I should have known better
Still the smell of you was on my face
But you were too busy
To notice me last night

Now I can't take it alone
I can't make it alone
I can't take it
I can't make it alone
Oh no, oo, oh no

Then I tell myself I'll put you down
Don't wanna see your face around
Don't call me up anymore
When I hear your voice it's in my ear
You're kissin' on the phone
It makes it all come clear

I can't make it alone
I can't take it
I can't make it alone
Oh no, oh, oh no

I try to tell myself
Don't need you anymore
Don't want you hangin' around my door, oh no

I can't make it alone
I can't take it alone
I can't make it alone
I can't take it alone
I can't make it alone
If it's wrong or right
I can't take it, I can't make it alone

You know how I tried
I can't take it, I can't make it alone
I try tell myself don't need you anymore
I can't take it alone, I can't make it alone
Oh baby, my pretty baby
I can't take it alone, I can't make it alone
Animal, please don't point out the
1) Seduction
2) Propaganda
3) Deception
to the unwitting victims of my last answer to you and Steve.
;)
Jerry is in his subtle, non-offensive way putting forward the idea that a productive recruiter should be on the phone not on line. And that time spent on social media discussion groups should be sharply curtailed.
Ah, now I see. I never said every employee or every day routine (or did I). And I certainly don't think this much time should be spent in a discussion group. I spend a great deal of time on the phone. That doesn't mean I can't type and actively listen at the same time. Is that duplicitous? We can discuss that on the show tomorrow. I have work to do.

Recruiting Animal said:
Jerry Jerry said: (more or less) Ah shore wish ah could make a livin' outa sitting round jawin' bout recruitin'. But so far - them checks ain't appearing too regularly.

Jerry is in his subtle, non-offensive way putting forward the idea that a productive recruiter should be on the phone not on line. And that time spent on social media discussion groups should be sharply curtailed.

But there's a guy on the Recruiting Animal Show tomorrow, Mr Fishdogs, who claims that social media activity should be part of every employee's daily routine.
Craig Fisher said: I never said.... yadda yadda yadda

Save it for tomorrow, buddy. You weren't clear at all.
Ami, You have obviously never bought a lemon or been through a divorce. I congratulate you on both

But quote "Average recruiters tell their candidate the job is great and they're gonna love it. Top recruiters help their candidates say 'The job is great and I'm gonna love it!' " pretty much sums up the jist of this conversation.

As I have read this trough, and many similar blogs that you've taken part in, I fail to see where the candidate is considered anything but a "Star performer" or an idiot. There seems to be no in-between with you.

Regardless, Amitai, I've learned my lesson. In the future I'm staying away from any blog you take a part in.

Amitai Givertz said:
Is the point of recruiting to treat candidates as unwitting victims, as fools for the taking? No wonder people have low regard for recruiters.

No. Who said that? You're erroneous conclusion is what perpetuates negative stereotyping not any assertion that I've made.

Also, I would like to suggest that anyone who would prefer to refashion the popular stereotypes about their profession would do well not to perpetuate the stereotyping of others. Used-car salesmen and divorce attorneys perform services to society equal to that of a recruiter. I might add they too have the same problems realizing an examination of truth is a first step to developing the trust-worthiness that marks a true professional from the riff-raff.

I shall leave it here by inviting you to read the preceding thread, follow the links and think it through. You might conclude that rather than candidates being "unwitting victims," average/lame recruiters are the unwitting victims of their individual weaknesses and self-deception.

Steve Delaney said:
Is the point of recruiting to treat candidates as unwitting victims, as fools for the taking?
No wonder people have low regard for recruiters. You might as well be used car salesmen - or divorce attorneys. -sjd
Steve, Ami, come on, make nice. You're both nice guys in real life! This is my posting and I don't like anyone to have hard feelings on it - except kooks who don't know how to have fun. I can't help them.
what did I miss? Mike, please explain with words I'll understand. Thanks
Who's Mike?

Slouch said:
what did I miss? Mike, please explain with words I'll understand. Thanks
> Slouch said: what did I miss?

Just a little tiff, JD. Move along now... No soap opera here.

@Jerry: couldn't get into your chat. I tried

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Subscribe

All the recruiting news you see here, delivered straight to your inbox.

Just enter your e-mail address below

Webinar

RecruitingBlogs on Twitter

© 2024   All Rights Reserved   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service